A first time for everything...

We've had many 'first times' during our time here, some of which were considerably less enjoyable (that's right- I'm looking at you pig's organ soup) than others. And just when you think there couldn't possible be anything left to shock you, it just so happens that it's time for your very first Thai Church camp. Now... I didn't even like our own Church camps from my childhood back in South-Africa. I never could understand why they thought it was f-u-n?

And so some of the local church members told with great joy about previous church camps.... Women all sleep together in one room, and the men in the other... on the floor. And the communal bathroom with those wonderful 'squat' toilets. And the food.....Oh my goodness! At this point I may or may not have considered faking some sort of illness... you know, a highly contagious one at the very least!! But I opted for prayer instead, very very desperate prayer... hahaha!! I suppose my Heavenly Father might have found it mildly amusing.

So with all the enthusiasm I could muster, we were on our way...

Upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised! We had our own private bedroom, it was such an enormous relief! And if I must say, from what we've seen so far of Thailand, this place was definitely a cut above the rest. Being 150km from Bangkok, I really enjoyed being surrounded by nature for a change.


They kept to quite a busy schedule with 3 to 4 church services per day, games, activities and a daily trip to some landmarks (from 6.30am until 10pm every day). It was a bit overwhelming since everything was obviously in Thai, even though they had 2 strong English speaking pastors present the whole time who could help with translation. But we made the best of it, and could at least figure out how to play some of the games.


We were exhausted, but happy to return home. And looked forward to our first breakfast that is anything other than rice-soup with pieces of fish/pork inside... Yikes!! Thai people literally eat rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as a starter, main or dessert.... Below is a picture of rice-soup with fish/pork, the standard Thai breakfast.



May you all be blessed in this 2nd last month of the year (scary right?).

Until next time..

Comments