August 2014

Hello to all,

Welcome to this month's blog post.  I am very ready for the summer and can't wait to remove some of the layers of clothes I am having to wear.    I know you feel the same.......

I thought I would post a famous missions sermon from a Dutch American pastor called Otto Koning, who served in Papa New Guinea with his family during the 1970's.  He is a very gifted speaker and so funny that you dont even realise as the time goes by.  I was blessed by his message and think about it often.  Should you have the time, consider checking it out.

Before we get there I thought I would mention something that I learned this past month. During this academic term I had to write a sermon from Matthew 9:35-38 for homiletics (art of preaching).  The scripture is famous -

"35 And Jesus went throughout all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; 38 therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.”

One of the main points was on a word in verse 36, compassion.  Jesus had compassion (to be moved in the inside parts) for the shepherd less people and that was a major motivation for Him to reach out to the masses. How do we get compassion for our lost, harassed and helpless lost friends? Well once my sister's two year old was in an accident and was taken up in the ICU with several broken bones.  As I visited them, with the baby boy in bandages and oxygen supply everywhere separated and his mother unable to pick up or ease her crying baby boy, I had sincere compassion for them.  And there it is.  If we want to have this unnatural feeling for people we need to have pity for their situation.  Their true situation is that they are like sheep without a shepherd who wander about into areas of danger, run out of grass eat and worst of all die.  May God help us to compassionately care for the lost people of this world.

Now for the sermon by Otto Koning, called the Pineapple story.  The video quality is not great but the message more than makes up for it.




Love and blessings.

Johan

Comments